What is an All-In-One Computer?
An All-In-One Computer (aka All-In-One Desktop, aka AOI) integrates the computer’s case and system components into the monitor so all working parts are contained within a single unit. AOIs offer the advantage of a smaller form factor than a desktop computer but can come with some drawbacks as well, depending on your usage. Below we will explore the advantages and disadvantages of purchasing an All-In-One and you can decide what is right for you!
Advantages of an All-In-One Computer
- The most notable advantage of purchasing an All-In-One computer is that it takes up significantly less space compared to a desktop.
- AIO computers generally look very sleek and modern, adding an attractive element to your home or office.
- An AIO does not need many wired connections. This makes setup easy (plug in and go!) and keeps your workspace less cluttered. Desktop computers typically need many cable connections, like a power cable, monitor cable, keyboard cable, mouse cable, speaker cable, and others if your setup requires. An AIO computer generally just needs a power cable, keyboard cable, and mouse. This need can be reduced even further by using a wireless keyboard and mouse.
- Many AIOs come with a built-in camera for video conferencing, Skype calls and more.
- AIO computers generate less heat and consume less electrical power than a desktop.
- There is no need to purchase a separate monitor.
- May AIOs come with a touchscreen feature.
Disadvantages of an All-In-One Computer
- An All-In-One computer has less powerful components compared to a desktop, so it may not be the right fit if you need a high-performance machine.
- If you are a gamer, an AOI may not be for you. They generally come with a CPU and graphics card akin to a laptop, which generates less power and weaker graphics.
- An AOI is not easily portable, and since the CPU and graphics card is the same as a laptop, a laptop may be a better fit for you since you can carry it anywhere.
- The internal components, other than RAM, are difficult or impossible to upgrade.
- If you are a fan of downloading content you may run into memory restrictions.
Is an All-In-One right for you?
All-In-One computers are useful for many people but restrictive for others. Your deciding factors should be what you will be using it for and how portable you need to be. If you are typically working in one place and don’t have a need for a powerful processor, an All-In-One will get the job done and look great doing it! If you need to keep your work portable, a laptop computer is the way to go. If you are less concerned with portability but need a high-powered processor and/or graphics card, you likely want to look for a desktop computer.
No matter your computing needs, Tech Discounts has you covered! With a wide range of affordable laptops, high-powered PCs, and All-In-Ones (available in-store) for sale at great prices. And you can shop with confidence knowing every computer purchased comes standard with a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee and a full 1-Year Fix It or Replace It Warranty at no additional cost.